The Eastern Cape Provincial Disaster Management Centre (EC-PDMC) a directorate within the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) in conjunction with the Eastern Cape Umbrella Fire Protection Association (ECUFPA) hereby advises that no burning or open fires as defined are permitted as from the 1st August 2016 until the 31st October 2016, for Amathole District; Chris Hani District; Joe Gqabi District; O.R. Tambo District; Alfred Nzo District and the Buffalo City Metro. No burning or open fires as defined is permitted as from 1st December 2016 until the 31st March 2017 within the Nelson Mandela Metro area, unless a notice in this regard is issued to lift the prohibition or permission is granted in terms of this notice.
Burning will be allowed under the following strict conditions:
- The Fire Chief of the Metro’s, Local / District Municipality or the Fire Protection Officer (FPO) of the local Fire Protection Association (FPA) must approve all burning operations according to their respective burning permit systems.
- Landowners must apply a minimum of seven (7) days prior to burning for pre-approval.
- Final approval for burning must be obtained on the day of the burn.
- All bordering landowners must be informed of burning operations in terms of the National Veld and Forest Fire Act (Act 101 of 1998) (NVFFA).
- The NVFFA places a duty on all landowners to have all precautions in place to prevent a fire from spreading or causing damage.
The public is urged to be extremely vigilant and to report any fires to the Local Municipalities or Fire Protection Associations, alternatively to the Ambulance services at (10177) and Police services at (10111).
Any person contravening this notice may be liable and face prosecution under the Fire Brigade Services Act 99 of 1987, National Veld and Forest Fire Act 101 of 1998) or any other applicable legislation.
For any further information kindly contact Mr. L. Mnxulwa at 082 362 9178 or Mr. NC Julius at 079 496 4256 of the EC – PDMC or Mr. T. Botha at 082 922 8637 of the ECUFPA